View mobile version


A person intending to demolish a building or part of a building must give notice to the Building Control section of the intended demolition. This can be done by completion of a 'Notice of Intended Demolition' form, which is available here. The form needs to be submitted to the Council together with a plan, which identifies the location of the proposed demolitions.

Copies of the submitted notice need to be sent to utility service companies, gas, water and electricity suppliers, as well as adjoining building owners. The Building Control section may carry out a site inspection and will serve a Counter Notice, which lays down conditions relating to carrying out and completing the works.

Works may only commence after receipt of the Counter Notice or an expiry of 6 weeks from the date of submission to the Council.

Attention is also drawn to the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2007 that apply to demolition works. Further information can be gained from the Health and Safety Executive website

Please note that Planning Permission may also be required for demolition works and in some cases, agreement needs to be reached under the Party Wall Act with adjoining owners.

Download a Notice of Intended Demolition from your local council